- Omega-3-acid ethyl esters (e.g., Lovaza) are used together with lifestyle changes (diet, weight-loss, exercise) to reduce the amount of triglycerides in blood. Omega-3-acid ethyl esters are in a class of medications called antilipemic or lipid-regulating agents. Omega-3-acid-ethyl esters may work by decreasing the amount of triglycerides and other fats made in the liver. 1
- In people with high triglycerides, large doses of EPA and DHA (3-4g/d) can also lower triglycerides by 30-40%.1
- Since most fish oil capsules contain only 300mg of omega-3 esters (EPA and DHA) per 1000mg capsule, 10-12 capsules may be necessary to provide 3-4g of active ingredients.
- Lovaza is a prescription concentrated fish oil capsule that contains 3 times as much active ingredients and is FDA approved for treatment of triglyceride levels.
See Fish oil
1. Goldberg I.J, Eckel RH, McPherson R. Triglycerides and heart disease: still a hypothesis? Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol. Aug 2011;31(8):1716-1725.